Breath, Vent, Cry, Release The Pain
This month I had already dedicated to raising awareness about mental health especially depression in black women. And this week alone could have caused you or someone you know to feel traumatized. Please seek help if you need it.
But once you are better, you have to decide to go beyond posting on social media. The dust will settle soon like it always does. Our community needs our voice that has action attached to it.
Action is needed now.
No more prayer chains.
No more press conferences.
No more saying you don’t know what to do.
10 Things Beyond The Hashtag:
1. Donate to a local social and economic organization.
2. Volunteer at a local social and economic organization. We all have useful skills.
3. Buy from a black owned business. Black owned businesses are the #1employer of black people.
4. Support local youth organizations that creates opportunities for our children.
5. Spend at least 50% of your budget shopping black. Money is power and a community can’t grow without both.
6. Stop supporting shows that stereotype us. None of that money made from those shows get to our community anyway.
7. Create a group where people feel free to express their emotions in a safe space.
8. Speak words of love and empowerment into the girls and boys in your life. Let them know they have a future. Don’t allow outside forces to take that away from our children.
9. Educate others around you on what it truly means to be black in America. Ignorance ain’t bliss anymore.
10. Support the black owned businesses and organizations without critiquing them for what they don’t have. They don’t have what they need because you’re not shopping or supporting them unless you get a hook-up. Support without thinking you should get something in return.
BONUS: Open an account at a black owned bank. If you aren’t in an area by one, see if you can open one online. Unity National Bank in Houston is the only one in Texas and the southwest. Learn more about them.
Don’t just sit and think that’s enough. The village has to come back with you contributing.
Support Me: (let’s be real, I’m an entrepreneur and stay in business with financial support from my readers, listeners, audience, clients.)
Tune in each Sunday from June 5- August 28 (Season 2) to listen to what we’re chatting about on, “A Toast To Truths.” DOWNLOAD past episodes now.